Working abroad Policy

If you work in the UK and are considering taking advantage of our working abroad policy, here’s what you need to know…

We aim to..

  • Give you the opportunity to work in a different location.
  • Offer you flexibility in a new work environment.
  • Make travelling and working abroad as simple as possible so that it benefits both you and us!


To be eligible for this policy, you should:

  • Have worked for [company X] for at least [X years]
  • Get approval to work abroad from your line manager. 
  • Make sure you can get immigration permission or a visa to be able to work in your chosen country. 

What about tax?

The tax you will pay depends on how long you’re planning to work abroad. Technically, if you carry out work in another country, you’re eligible to pay tax there. So it’s a good idea to research the tax implications involved as it can vary depending on your circumstances. 

You should be aware of how the length of your stay will affect the tax you pay. E.g., 

  • Less than 6 months — not typically taxable abroad. 
  • More than 6 months — typically taxable abroad and in the UK.
  • 1 full tax year abroad — Taxable abroad, and not typically taxable in the UK. 

Tax will be deducted from your pay as normal. You will need to make sure you let us know the following details in advance:

  • Date of travel
  • Your gross pay from day one of the tax year to the travel’s date
  • The deducted tax from day one of the tax year to the travel’s date 

If you spend more than a year abroad, you’ll get full UK tax relief on your earnings. If you're on an overseas contract there is a chance that [country X] will deduct tax from your salary.

How you’re supported

  • [Company X] is responsible for your health & safety. We will make sure that you're aware of the local health and protection laws and requirements.
  • You and [Company X] will pay your national Insurance for the first 52 weeks if:
  • You’re a UK resident
  • You were based in the UK before travelling abroad