💙 Pregnancy Loss Policy
Pregnancy loss can be a really difficult time no matter what stage in the pregnancy the loss happens. We want to support you through this time as best we can.
Pregnancy loss includes (but is not limited to):
- Misscariage - loss of pregnancy before 24 weeks.
- Stillbirth - when a baby dies after 24 weeks of pregnancy.
- Abortion - when a pregnancy is ended through medicine or surgical procedure.
- Ectopic pregnancy - when a fertilised egg implants outside of the womb.
- Neonatal Loss - when a baby dies within 28 days of birth.
- Molar pregnancy - when the fertilised egg and placenta cannot develop normally due to a problem with the egg.
Why is this policy important?
- Pregnancy loss can make working as normal challenging. It is so important to raise awareness of the difficulties faced, so that no one is suffering in silence at work.
- Both pregnancy loss and grief can be unpredictable and there is no right or wrong way to grieve. This ensures there’s something in place for if and when support is needed.
Supporting you at work
Pregnancy loss can be a really painful time, and can make work extremely challenging. Here’s how we support you at work:
- Paid Leave - We offer everyone [X days] of compassionate leave per year to accommodate difficult circumstances like pregnancy loss and parental bereavement. This way, you can take time out to grieve, or do whatever you need to do to feel better.
- Paid leave for medical appointments - we understand that pregnancy loss can come with medical complications and these can vary from person to person. If you need to take time off to go to medical appointments, we’ll support you with this.
- Flexible working - flexibility can make a huge difference when coping with loss. We will make any extra arrangements we can to support you - whether that’s changes to working hours, remote working, or even switching your camera off in video meetings.
- Private Medical Care - coping with loss is difficult enough in itself, never mind the added stress of health care. At [X company] we offer you private medical care through [X provider]. This way you know you’re covered if anything unexpected happens.
- Mental Health Support - we want to help you cope with the emotional impact of pregnancy loss. At [X company] you can access mental health support through [X provider].
Do what’s right for you
If there’s anything else we can do to help support you during this time, you can chat to us confidentially & we’ll work together to support you!